Crinion Park, Wicklow Town
Contact details for Outreach workers:
Peter O'Reilly / Helen O'Connor
Mobile: 087 617 3799
The Aim of the Project
The general aim of the Prevention and Education Outreach Project (Wicklow Travellers' Group) is to develop the capacity of young Travellers (their families and the Traveller Community) by continuing:
- To promote throughout society a greater awareness, understanding and clarity of the dangers of drug misuse.
- To develop a greater understanding of the dangers of problem drug use among the general population.
- To promote healthier lifestyle choices among young people and other vulnerable groups at risk of problem drug use, through personal development, life- skills and harm reduction approaches.
- To provide drug and alcohol awareness education and thus, creatie a greater understanding of the dangers of problem drug and alcohol use.
- To promote healthier lifestyle choices through social and personal development, health education and culturally appropriate community activities and supports.
- To engage in interagency work, with community, voluntary and statutory agencies who are specifically working or engaging Travellers.
The Prevention and Education Outreach Project
- Provides culturally appropriate drug and alcohol education programmes that disseminate sound information about substance misuse and its physical, mental and social effect.
- Builds awareness of services, by giving information about sources of help
- Increases engagement through outreach. Programmes need to engage the Traveller community collectively. To include families – social inclusion
- Provides a safe space, particularly for young Travellers
- Strengthens the capacity of the community and to build resilience
- Engages in interagency work to ensure implementation of Ethnic identifier and the Traveller proofing of services.
- Develops new initiatives and provide access to activities for young Traveller males and men.
- Develops Research
- Recruits Traveller peer workers – potential leaders.